Wednesday, June 21, 2006

home stereo: Stanley Miller II

Stan Miller answers your questions about the latest gadgets and helps you sort out matters of the Web and computers.



Q: Dave of Wauwatosa - I might as well post my question a week early, as I'm bound to completely forget it. With the WoW expansion coming out by the end of the year (and also with a number of game updates since you stopped playing), do you see yourself getting back into the WoW addiction, or is there too much on other fronts (PS3, etc.) to make you want to go back?

A: Stanley Miller II - Dave, the Burning Crusade Expansion is tempting, and I am sure I will renew my account for a month to try it out. But any time I spend on World of Warcraft will be for editorial purposes and not for recreation. Don't get me wrong, WOW really is an amazing game, but it's a time sink I can't afford, especially since it's summer. I am going to be very eager to hear what local World of Warcraft players have to say about the expansion when it launches, though. But after two level 60 characters, countless instance runs and mob grinding, I think my hardcore days of WoW are over.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Thomas of Santee - Which would you recommend the Palm 700 or blackberry

A: Stanley Miller II - The Palm Treo 700p or the BlackBerry ... what? The BlackBerry 7250? Or the 7130e? I am a big fan of the Palm OS. It's interface is fantastic -- simple and intuitive. In my opinion the BlackBerry interface isn't as good. It's good, just not as good. These smartphones are going to share several functions, including e-mail, PDA sync, Internet access and a lot more. The difference is how you access those features, and that is very much tied to personal taste. I personally enjoy a very easy interface, so I like Palm a lot.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Bill Nachmann of Franklin - Hi Stan, I always appreciate your advice. How do I hook my 3000 song iTunes computer PC library up to my nice stereo/receiver? I don't have an iPod now. What would be the least expensive way to hook it up and get the full effect of my PC iTunes library on my killer stereo speakers?

A: Stanley Miller II - Bill, the answer depends on the proximity of your computer to your home stereo system. The solution could be as crude as running a cable from your sound card to one of the stereo's audio-in jacks, to a wireless home media adapter, to an Xbox 360, to a Windows Media Center PC. It also depends on what you want to spend. I recently reviewed the Squeeze Box from Slim Devices, a wireless music-streaming system that worked very well. There are many other competing products, including the Sonos Digital Music System, as well as various media adapters from networking companies like Linksys. I use my Xbox 360 to get the music on my computer upstairs to the stereo downstairs, and it works pretty well considering that is not it's primary function. Media PCs can be a bit of overkill unless you are interested in breaking out all kinds of media, including digital pictures and video as well as music, on your entertainment center. I'd advise you to take a hard look at the Squeeze Box or Sonos as a possible solution.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: jake of london - can u rap

A: Stanley Miller II - Sorry Jake, I can't rap. I also don't play basketball very well.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Mary Lehman of Muskego - How is the latest personal gadgets and Web trends having an impact on the newspaper business?

A: Stanley Miller II - Mary, I'd say the growth of video both via streaming on a PC and downloaded to devices like the iPod and PlayStation Portable are definitely shaping the newspaper business when it comes to how we augment our coverage and add value online. For example, JSOnline has aggressively expanded its use of video, including the somewhat recent rollout of the TechWatch video demonstrations I do every other week. I think video is going to be very important to what newspapers do in the future, and I think we need to be very creative in what we do. We are off to an OK start, but we need to be willing to experiment.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Meagan of Milwaukee - Any suggestions for some good wireless outdoor speakers? Is there anything worth buying on the market now, or would it be better to wait?

A: Stanley Miller II - Meagan, check out Paradigm's new Stylus Series v.3 outdoor speakers. I haven't had a chance to test them yet. But Paradigm has won loads of awards. Paradigm sells six different models in this series, including two new stereo/mono models, providing what the company calls a dual-directional soundfield for more flexibility in outdoor placement. One speaker allegedly provides two-channel sound in smaller areas, and multiple speakers negate the sound imbalances that happen outside when people are closer to one stereo speaker than the other. Also, definitely check with the experts at Flanners, they typically give excellent advice.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Mike of Glendale - Why do IT departments place so much value in certifications? I have found that companies seem to be enamored with them. Today, it seems that a solid work ethic is being over looked. I have heard many people say that the “experience of working” is the best training they ever received. Unfortunately I have worked with many certified lazy people. What is you opinion? Will it ever change?

A: Stanley Miller II - I'm not an IT expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I know a lot of techs. Certifications mean standardization, at least in theory, and I think that is where IT managers see value. Managers want to make sure their employees have certain skillsets, and certifications establish that. I don't see that changing, just as I don't see certain expectations for other levels of professional education across other industries.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Mark of Austin, TX - Would you recommend a TREO 700P or 700W? Or some other smartphone? Why?

A: Stanley Miller II - Mark: 700p because the interface is easier. Why do something in six steps when you can do it in two or three?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: John of oak Creek - what advantages does the palm 700 have over the latest blackberry phones

A: Stanley Miller II - John: a digital music player and a camera immediately come to mind.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Lori of Fox Point - Thanks for doing these chats, Stanley. I bought a Tungsten E Palm a little more than a year ago from Office Max. I also bought the extended warranty with the promise that if I had a problem with the Palm, I can bring it in a get a new one. I'm sure there have been abuses, the sales clerk was practically telling me to "upgrade" once a year--but then I did have a real problem. For some reason, the battery drained a forced me to do a hard boot to get the Palm going again. THEN...without me knowing it, the Palm reset to an earlier date, I performed a hotsync and lost data! Office Max is not helping me with their extended plan. I can't be without a Palm as I use it for my small business. When purchasing a small, new gadget are extended warranties worth it? Thank you.

A: Stanley Miller II - Lori, personal electronics fail. My iPod's battery recently permanently died on me, and the timing of the failure put it past the extended warranty had I decided to buy one. I usually never go with extended warranties, but if you decide to, you need to scour the fine print, which will typically take a lot longer than most people feel comfortable with when in line at Best Buy. One word of warning: sometimes warranty replacement will allow for the manufacturer to provide you with a refurbished replacement instead of a brand-new device, and that can lead to frustration down the line. Ok everyone, I have an interview in 5 minutes and need to get going. Sorry for the late start, and thanks for coming out! If I didn't answer your question, visit my blog regularly, I plan on answering them there over the next week or two.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?